ETFs in focus - Fidelity EBF 2023
Market growth 2022 & Q1 2023
- USD 90 bn net new assets in 2022
- And another USD 58 bn year-to-date in 2023 already (as per 21st April 2023)
- With USD 570 mio net new assets we ranked no. 12 in Q1, but the upside is still tremendous
- Flows were dominated by Fixed Income, ESG and Thematics, exactly were we play (ESG funds - defined as article 8 and 9 funds under SFDR - added USD 56 bn of new assets in 2022, Fixed Income USD 33 bn, and Thematics a respectable USD 3.5 bn)
- iShares continued its dominance with 53% of total ETF Net New Assets in 2022, equating to more than USD 47 bn of inflows
- Vanguard had a strong year based on its clear value proposition “broad market exposures at minimal cost”
- JP Morgan, one of our closest competitors in active ETFs, also had a strong year with NNA of more than USD 3 bn
Opportunity set: our ETF capabilities
- 20 regional building blocks available: diverse enough to cater different client needs
- No. 12 in European flows in Q1: room to grow
- USD 570 mio net new assets in Fidelity UCITS ETFs this year already (as of Q1)
- Five unique Thematic ETFs: broad enough to act as strategic building blocks: great stuff, but need your help to grow
- So far since October 2022: 8 new clients invested in our ETFs - can we double that number by September?
Differentiating Through Application of Fidelity IP
What we are: unique ETFs build on our active & sustainable research capabilities
- Client focused solutions aligned with their specific needs.
- Sustainable Investing integral to our ETF investment solutions.
- Best of active and passive: Combining the transparency of ETFs with the benefits of Fidelity's active expertise in security selection and portfolio construction.
What are we not: Pure passive, ultra low fee (= low margin)
- Core market capitalisation weighted ETFs have experienced significant margin pressure and this is expected to continue.
- It is difficult for us to compete with established players that already have scale and liquidity and therefore this is not an area of interest for us.
Fidelity ETF / ETPs – c. USD 4 bn Product Range
Good progress so far and a significant opportunity to build-out the range further
Active sustainable enhanced beta exposure by leveraging proprietary research whilst capturing the characteristics of the broader market (click on the arrow on the right to see more)Sustainable Research Enhanced ETFs
Sustainable Fixed Income
Sustainable systematic tilt on flagship indices leveraging proprietary quantitative, fundamental and sustainable research (click on the arrow on the right to see more).Sustainable Bond ETFs
Fidelity index exposure leveraging fundamental, quantitative and sustainable capabilities to provide investors with exposure to long-term themes (click on the arrow on the right to see more)Thematic Equity ETFs
Please note: numbers on the right denote snapshot for Q1 and are subject to change
Did you know that almost all of our clients use ETFs to build their portfolios?
Aligned with Fidelity’s existing key clients
What is IPREO?
Ipreo is a database scanning publicly available records for ETF holdings. Based on our experience it covers around 30% of the ETF market and thus is a great start to build a call list for ETF contacts. Access is currently limited to the ETF. Want to know what is happening in your client base?
Reach out to Stefan Kuhn to run taylor-made reports suiting your needs.
We are here to help: The ETF ecosystem
Where to find more ETF information
A good starting point is our newly updated website:
Email to Stefan Kuhn
Want to know what your clients hold in (competitor) ETFs, ask Stefan for an Ipreo data dump
Email to ETF team
If you have product-specific questions, please email:
All product-related material, just like for active funds, can be found on:
ETFs on Yammer
Recently, we have launched a Yammer group: ETFs at Fidelity